Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sidetracked....

Okay, so you know I'm on one mission, but in my quest, I have been sidetracked... LOL

I'm currently taking night classes at a local community college (which is now about 10 minutes from my house.. oh yeah!) towards an A.S. in something I have yet to decide. I've been taking courses there for three years, and excluding credits not completed from this semester, I have earned 25 credits towards my general ed... I had been planning on taking math and Spanish next month (towards more general ed) and enrolling in the EMT program next fall. At the rate I am going, it would take probably another 3-4 years to graduate.

There is a non-profit private career college nearby, (about 5 minutes from my house! yay!) that offers a Medical Assistant program. Some of the courses I have taken at Sierra (current college) will transfer to the new program at Heald. The school also offers job placement services for life, and receives job offers for current and graduated students all the time. It is more expensive (about 8,000 a year, 300 a quarter in books), but I could get financial aid (which I have been avoiding- I am paying cash for the courses I take now). And, if I applied myself, I could be out in 2 years.

It sounds great, and besides being a little daunting to go through so much change, my main concern is the financial aspect. An A.S. in 2 years sounds really nice, especially with the career pacement. The Medical Assistant program trains for both front and back office procedures, and would give me a start... Since the semester at Sierra ends in December, I wouldn't start at Heal until January. I have a little while to decide. Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

As long as you don't make a MA your long term career. They are not paid well and are under-appreciated. Only do it if it is a transition to something that pays better and commands more respect.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Exactly... From articles I've read, they are going to be in higher demand, and pay better than what I am receiving currently. I've also heard that an MA gets more respect and is better background than a CNA? I don't know. Its worth a shot, and will give me something to do until I can go towards nursing. Especially since I'm taking good advice there and want to get a bachelor's degree. ;D

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home