Wednesday, October 05, 2005

That just reinforced my initial decision.

Last time I posted, I wrote about a situation with Neil.... That has since been resolved- I told him I'm not looking for a date set in stone, but by throwing out a date just needed to know if it might be possible. It is, we agreed, and now I appreciate more than ever how comfortable I am with him. I also appreciate the honesty we both have with each other, its something I never doubt.

I've also posted about frustrations with my job. The last week or so has been fine- someone else has come back into the picture and is helping sort some things out. But there are still kinks in the system.

We offer a 24 hour on call emergency service. We have drivers assigned to be on call on the weekends (I am one of them) but we have never had it stated who is to take the call when someone calls during the week. Last night, a patient called, and his cousin's (also a patient) suction machine took a fall, and the collection canister broke. This is not the kind of machine you want to break, especially for this patient. The call came in at 4:30- our regular delivery driver had already gone home, and had plans for that evening. Our pharmacist, the next person to usually take it, had IVs to fill, and another job to go to that he was already half an hour late for. I had a test in class, that I did not have the time to make up if I missed it. (I already have to try to figure out how to make up the test I have to miss tomorrow night because of the conference they are sending me to.) The other availible person could not take it because "I've only been there once before and I don't want to get lost."

Well, I had never been there before at all. Yes, had. My test started at 6:30, so they felt I had enough time to get there and back in time. WRONG! I left by five, to go to a town usually about 45 minutes away, but during rush hour, it didn't take 45 minutes to get there. It took at least an hour. Once at the patient's house, I could not just drop the canister and run, I had to make sure it was in fact the right item (which I had done over the phone before I left, but not all people are extremely clear in what they want- this guy was) and make sure some of the other items were functioning properly before I could leave. Between checking everything out and driving back to town, it was at least another hour. From town, another 20 minute drive to school and a 10 minute walk to class. I was an hour late to class, and nearly missed the test. I had informed my teacher of the situation before I left for the house, but any other teacher would not have let me in. I got lucky- my teacher let me come in and take the test, an hour late.

They're going to talk more today about what to do during the week for call, and I have bad news for them. I have three night classes during the week. School is slightly more important than work to me right now, especially when I have a test! Three nights means homework, which I do not always have time to do on the weekends. I volunteered to take call on the weekends, because someone else is not always able to do so for reasons I won't mention because they will only frustrate me more. I was being helpful. Weekends are easy. During the week, possibly having to miss a lecture or a test is not acceptable to me. I'm not covering for anyone else but myself.

The person who couldn't go because she hadn't been there but once before is also the person I am going to the conference with this weekdend. I'm hoping I can let go of this frustration before then- especially if they didn't book us seperate rooms. grrr....

Anyway, I have a short errand to run before work this morning, and I need to get moving...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

LOL if only I could tell everything

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home